An easy to make, filling and delicious snacking option, this chilli mushroom toast recipe is addictive! It requires minimal ingredients and a good quality loaf of bread is a must! The cheese on top balances out all the flavours and adds that extra gooeyness. Mushrooms are cooked till they absorb all the flavours of the sauces, aromatics and spices. The addition of green capsicum adds that extra crunch as well as pop of green. It’s really one of my favourite recipes and I love to include this in my lazy brunch options on weekends.
This chilli mushroom toast also makes for a great appetiser option if you are planning to host soon. You can also put this delicious filling on small bruschettas and serve them to your guests. They are going to love it!
The chilli element of these toasts are a combination of red chilli sauce and chilli flakes. The quantity of these two ingredients can be adjusted as per your preference. If you would like to make it extra hot, please add more.
Here’s the recipe:
Preparation time – 10 minutes
Cook time – 20 minutes
- 2 tbsp oil
- A loaf of bread
- 5 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp black pepper powder
- 1 large tomato, finely chopped
- 100 g button mushroom, finely chopped
- 1/2 capsicum, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp hot sauce/Schezwan sauce/red chilli sauce
- 1 tsp Oregano
- 1 tsp chilli flakes (adjust as per liking)
- Melted butter (to layer the bread)
- 1 cup Grated mozzarella cheese (adjust as per your liking)
- Heat oil in a pan. Add the finely chopped garlic and stir for a minute on low flame. The garlic should release its aroma and flavour the oil.
- Add the finely chopped onions and stir for a few minutes till they turn brown and translucent.
- Once the onions are have softened, add the tomatoes and cook for another 2-3 minutes till the tomatoes melt. Add a splash of hot water to prevent it from sticking.
- Season with salt and black pepper powder. Mix well.
- Add the chopped mushrooms and chopped capsicum. Mix and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- For the heat, add a tablespoon of any chilli sauce. I have used a red chilli sauce here, also known as hot sauce.
- Season with some Oregano and chilli flakes. Mix everything well together.
- Cut the loaf of bread into bruschetta slices. Melt some butter and apply on the bread with a brush (see video for reference).
- Put a few spoons of the mushroom filling on top of the bread, followed by a generous topping of grated cheese.
- Toast it in the oven for 10 minutes till its hot and crunchy. Enjoy while its hot.
Every bite of this cheesy, crunchy and garlicky chilli cheese mushroom toast is so delicious!
I hope you try out this delicious recipe. If you do, let me know how it turned out for you. If you have any questions, suggestions or feedback, please leave me a comment here. Or connect with me Instagram, Facebook or YouTube.