Are you ready to make the best salsa of your life? Once you make this salsa recipe, you will never go back to anything else. This salsa is really easy to make and requires just a handful of fresh ingredients – lime, cilantro, juicy fresh tomatoes – you know the drill. But the extra tricks just elevate it to a whole new level.
This salsa is saucy, crunchy and packed with tomatoes, all at the same time. The reason why you get so many textures is because this recipe is actually divided into two key steps, and both are merged in the end. The first step involves creating that jaw dropping sauce and the second step is assembling the raw tomatoes. Merging the two steps is what gives us a salsa recipe that is extremely flavourful and with a beautiful texture.
I have been making this for as long as I can remember. This is one salsa recipe that has been a favourite for years, and I make this every time I host. Spicy, sweet and so punchy, this salsa is refreshing and delicious, almost unreal. You will never buy salsa again as this is a recipe to keep forever. I had been tucking this in my heart for so long and finally sharing it here. It is super simple and barely requires any fancy ingredients. Just some of those juicy and ripe tomatoes can make magic happen! I hope you try this soon and fall in love with it. I can promise that it will make you a star host!
Preparation time – 10 minutes
Cook time – 10 minutes
For the sauce
- 4 ripe tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 cup finely chopped onions
- 8-10 Italian basil leaves
- 1 tbsp finely chopped garlic
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- One tbsp sugar
- Two tbsp tomato puree
- One green chilli, finely chopped
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp black pepper powder
- 1/2 tsp dried Oregano
For the final salsa
- 2 finely chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- A handful of finely chopped coriander/cilantro
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onions
- Heat olive oil in a skillet or pan. Add the onion and mix for 2-3 minutes till the onions start to caramelise.
- Add the finely chopped garlic and stir for another minute.
- Finely chop the green chilli and add it to the pan. Mix well.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and cook for a few minutes till the tomatoes start to sweat and melt.
- Pour the tomato puree and stir well.
- For sweetness, add the sugar and mix well till the sugar dissolves completely.
- Season with salt, black pepper powder and dried oregano. Give it all a good mix.
- Garnish with fresh Italian basil leaves and stir for a few seconds. Turn the gas off and let the mixture cool down.
- Blend the mixture into a smooth paste. Set aside.
- In another bowl, add the chopped tomatoes, lime juice and chopped coriander. Add the blended paste to this and mix well. Your salsa is ready.
- Serve with chips or nachos. Enjoy!
Every bite of this salsa with a nacho will knock your socks off! Make it over the weekend and enjoy something different and wildly popular when you host at home the next time. You can store this salsa for 2-3 days and enjoy it in sandwiches as well. It is quite multipurpose!
I hope you try out this salsa recipe. If you do, let me know how it turned out for you. If you have any questions, suggestions or feedback, please leave me a comment here. Or connect with me Instagram, Facebook or YouTube.