Get dinner ready in 10 minutes with this simple, easy and delicious lemon rice. It is a beautiful way to use up leftover rice and make a wholesome meal. The zing of the lemon along with flavourful rice and crunchy nuts make for a perfect bite. Try this easy recipe for this classic and you will make it a regular in your kitchen too.
Ingredients in this Lemon Rice Recipe
The ingredients in this lemon rice recipe are easy to find and very minimal. The nuts include cashews and peanuts which add a beautiful crunch to the recipe. The flavours in this lemon rice recipe comes from a simple tempering of pulses, mustard seeds, curry leaves, asafoetida or hing. The beautiful yellow colour comes from turmeric powder.
For the leftover rice, make sure you separate the grains before you add the to the tempering. This will ensure each grain of the rice remains separate. And lastly and the start of this recipe – the tanginess of lemon. It comes from fresh lime or lemon juice, along with a pinch of lemon zest for the additional pop of citrusy flavour.
When you make this recipe, make sure you have everything prepared and at an arm’s length because things move really fast. You can enjoy this lemon rice with some salad or any curry of your choice.
Let’s take a look at the recipe.
Preparation time – 10 minutes
Cook time – 10 minutes
Serves – 3
- 3 cups cooked white rice
- 3 tbsp oil/ghee
- 1/4 cup cashews
- 1/4 cup peanuts
- 2 dried red chillies
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tbsp chana dal
- 1 tbsp split urad dal
- 1/4 tsp hing
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 7-10 curry leaves
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 4 tbsp lime juice
- Heat oil or ghee in a pan or kadhai.
- Add the cashews and fry them slightly till they turn golden brown and crunchy. Set aside.
- Fry the peanuts after the cashews till they are golden and crunchy. Set aside.
- Into the same pan, add mustard seeds and allow them to splutter. Keep the flame at low to prevent burning.
- Temper with dried red chillies, urad dal, chana dal, hing, turmeric powder, curry leaves and finely chopped ginger.
- Saute on low flame for a few seconds.
- Add the cooked rice and mix everything together.
- Pour the lime juice and add the lime zest, giving it all a good mix.
- Season with salt as per your taste. Mix till well combined.
- Add the fried cashews and peanuts and give everything one last mix. Serve hot.
Hope you try out this delicious lemon rice in your own kitchen.