I love eating my vegetables and here is a treasured way to do that. An easy, simple and absolutely stunning preparation of vegetables in oyster sauce, this recipe is a weeknight favourite. Pair it up with some jasmine rice and you will have a wholesome, healthy and luscious meal in 30 minutes cook time.
The beauty of this recipe lies in its innate simplicity. It just involves cutting up those colourful and nutritious vegetables, mixing up some basic Asian sauces and bringing it all together in a wok. There is no secret ingredient, technique or trick. Anybody can pull this off. I have had people tell me in the lockdowns how this recipe helped them eat their vegetables when they were too scared to consume meat. This vegetables in Oyster sauce preparation is an easy hack to relish vegetables in a beautiful stock that is healthy and nutritious.
Since the vegetables are the key ingredients in this preparation, I have chosen naturally sweet vegetables that can add a lot of crunch and flavour to the dish. The red and yellow bell peppers add colour and sweetness, the baby corn and carrots add their own crunch and sweet flavour and the mushrooms add an earthy flavour. The sauces are soy and Oyster sauce. If you’d like to make this vegan, you can opt for vegan variations of Oyster sauce or use any other Asian sauce like Schezwan or Red Chilli. This recipe is highly customisable basis your preferences.
Let’s take a look at the ingredients and procedure to make this delicious recipe – Vegetables in Oyster Sauce :
Preparation time – 20 minutes
Cook time – 30 minutes
Serves – 4 people
- 30 ml vegetable oil (2 tbsp approx.)
- 15 ml sesame oil (1 tbsp approx.)
- 15 g finely chopped garlic (1 tbsp approx.)
- 10 finely chopped ginger (3/4 tbsp approx.)
- 80 g finely chopped onions (2/3 cup approx.)
- 110 g sliced carrots
- Red bell pepper, sliced – 100g
- Green capsicum, sliced – 100g
- Yellow bell pepper, sliced – 100g
- Baby corn, sliced – 100g
- Button mushroom – 100g
- Bokchoy – 150g
- 4 whole green chillies
- Salt to taste
- 12g black pepper powder
- Oyster sauce – 15 ml(1 tbsp approx.)
- Red chilli sauce – 15 ml (1 tbsp approx.)
- Dark soy sauce – 30 ml (2 tbsp approx.)
- Balsamic vinegar – 15 ml (1 tbsp approx.) (Substitute – while vinegar)
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 1 cup hot water
- Chopped spring onion greens for garnish
- Chop all the vegetables and keep ready.
- Heat oil in a hot wok.
- Toss in the ginger and garlic and stir on high heat for ten seconds.
- Add the chopped onions and stir till they turn translucent. Do not brown.
- Once the onions are translucent, add the carrots, green capsicum, red bell pepper, yellow bell pepper and baby corn. Stir all this on high heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms, bokchoy and whole green chillies and stir them into the mix.
- Season with salt and black pepper powder.
- Pour the Oyster sauce, soy sauce, red chilli sauce and vinegar. Mix well and let it all assimilate into the vegetable mix.
- Mix 1 tbsp cornflour in one cup hot water. Add this to the gravy and stir well.
- Boil the mixture till you get your desired consistency.
- Garnish with fresh spring onions greens.
- Serve hot over rice.
Every bite of this delicious vegetables in Oyster sauce will instantly comfort you! I hope you try out this recipe soon.If you do, let me know how it turned out for you.