I have the perfect dessert recipe for you if you’re planning to host or be in charge of dessert for your next social gathering at home. This strawberry bread pudding is so delicious, comforting and easy! You can make it with just a few ingredients and your kitchen will smell like a beautiful little bakery in no time. Every bite into this strawberry pudding feels like a warm hug. It’s soft, flavourful and has all the holiday flavours – vanilla, cinnamon and of course, strawberries.
This strawberry bread pudding is a perfect recipe to make in bulk if you are hosting or cooking for a large family. It really does not require any effort, and it comes together in no time. If you do not have strawberries, you can make it plain or add blueberries. You can also mix and match and customise it as per what fruit you have available.
How to Get The Perfect Pudding Texture
Bread puddings are very special to me and they remind of my childhood when my mom would make them for us kids when we wanted something special and sweet. I was such a huge fan of her bread pudding recipe, and every time I bite into a good pudding, it instantly reminds of those wonderful times. Even though a bread pudding might be the simplest dessert to pop in the oven, but it does require some crucial ticks to be checked.
Here are the tips I follow to make my pudding a little slice of heaven.
-Use the best quality of white bread possible
If you are making bread pudding, the #1 rule is to use the best kind of white bread possible. Do not try to substitute a good quality white bread with a brown or any other variant. The texture of the white bread will define how good your pudding it. So go for brioche, or any kind of superior, soft and fresh milk bread.
This pudding is a delicious jelly filled sandwiches soaking in a pudding mix of eggs and milk. Because we add the eggs directly to the milk, it is important that the milk is stirred continuously while doing so. Doing this ensures that the egg disintegrates completely into the milk and mixes with the sugar, vanilla and cinnamon, making way for the perfect custard base for the pudding to cook in. Continuous whisking also ensures that the egg does not get a chance to cook in the warm milk.
-Temperature of ingredients
The perfect pudding is all about using ingredients in their right quantities and temperatures. The milk must be warm and not too hot. The eggs should be at room temperature. If the milk is too hot, the egg will not disintegrate, and instead start cooking as a result of the heat. This will result in an inconsistent batter for the bread to cook in, and might also lead to an overpowering “eggy” smell.
-Let it cool
Once you take the pudding out of the oven, let it sit on the rack and cool down for ten minutes before you serve it. It will help the pudding to cool, settle down and harden, making for the perfect consistency. This pudding can also be chilled and served just before dessert time. It makes for a delicious, cold dessert.
Now that you know all the secrets to making the perfect strawberry bread pudding, let’s take a look at the recipe.
Preparation time – 30 minutes
Cook time – 40-50 minutes
Serves – 4
- 1 litre full fat milk
- 100g fresh strawberries, sliced into medium chunks
- 8 slices of white bread
- 1 cup sugar
- Apple cinnamon jelly for the bread sandwiches (or use any jam/jelly of your choice)
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon powder
- Apply the jelly in between two slices of bread and make sandwiches. You will need four to five jelly filled sandwiches.
- Cut each sandwich into four equal parts and set aside.
- Heat the milk and let it cool down for 5 minutes.
- Add the sugar to the milk, along with the vanilla essence and cinnamon powder. Whisk continuously.
- Add the eggs one by one. Keep stirring the milk continuously while you add the eggs. Whisk for around ten minutes till you get a smooth texture of the milk and everything is assimilated well into it.
- Thoroughly layer your baking tray with butter or oil.
- Place the jelly sandwiches on the tray as shown in the video. Make sure they are well packed and have filled the entire space.
- Gently pour the milk over bread, making sure each slice gets submerged in the milk.
- Garnish the top with some fresh strawberries, sliced into chunks. Pour some more milk on top of the strawberries.
- Bake at 180 degrees for 40-45 minutes. The time can vary in your oven, so keep a watch.
- Once done, carefully take out the tray and let it rest for ten minutes.
- Sprinkle powdered sugar on top.
- Cut and serve with more fresh strawberries on the side. You can also serve it with some whipped cream or custard. Enjoy!
I hope you try this delicious strawberry bread pudding recipe soon. It is a great way to celebrate at home, something we all need this year.
If you have any doubts, comments, or feedback, please reach out to me in comments or my social media handles.
Find me on Instagram – www.instagram.com/slurrpilicious
Join me on Facebook – www.facebook.com/slurrpilicious
Watch me on Youtube – https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA-cJoo27OLSCswI4sy6lzA?