Have you ever discovered something beautiful when you were not even looking for it in particular? Feels good, right?
This eggless double chocolate chip banana bread was such a discovery for me. It all happened a few years ago when I had some really ripe bananas withering away in my pantry. And the best way to use those super ripe bananas is of course to mash them up with some flour and bake some comforting banana bread! That was exactly the intention.
But the curious cat in me did not want to gobble down a plain banana bread. Too boring! Especially so because I also found cocoa, chocolate chips, brown sugar, and some dark chocolate in my pantry. The advantages of having a stocked pantry and having an open mind? But the spoiler? I didn’t have any eggs. Which is the only reason why this is an eggless version.
It is almost unbelievable that this banana bread tastes as good without eggs as well. But it does!
The excitement started racing in my mind and I just HAD TO experiment with all these ingredients. And I am so glad I did. Just look at this beauty!
I love this eggless chocolate chip banana bread so much that I end up baking it at least twice a month. It is moist, spongy and every chocolate lover’s dream come true. I love to grab a bite with my cup of chai in the mornings, or randomly stealing a bite at various times of the day. My friends love it and I have baked it a zillion times for so many people so far. So I can tell you that this recipe is absolutely full proof.
I hope you try this version of chocolate chip banana bread! Super simple and easy.
Preparation time – 15 minutes
Bake time – 40 minutes
Serves – 3-4 people
- 150 g all purpose flour
- 150 g butter, at room temperature
- 80 g unsweetened cocoa powder
- 80 g dark chocolate chips
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 50 g brown sugar, crushed
- 1.5 tsp vanilla essence
- 50 ml milk
- 3 very ripe bananas, mashed well
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 250 degrees.
- Add butter in a mixing bowl along with the crushed brown sugar. Mix well with a spatula till you get a creamy consistency.
- Pour in the vanilla essence into this and mix well.
- Add the mashed bananas to this and mix till everything comes together and there are no lumps.
- In another bowl, sieve the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and cocoa powder. Mix well.
- Gently add the flour to the butter and banana mixture, little by little. Take 4-5 rounds to complete this step.
- The final mixture might be too thick, so add some milk (room temperature) to get a thick batter.
- Take the chocolate chips and add to the batter, giving it one last mix with a spatula.
- Grease your loaf pan with butter or oil and add parchment paper on top.
- Pour in the banana bread batter into the loaf pan. Make sure it settles down completely.
- Garnish with lots of dark chocolate chips. I have also added a few chunks of my favorite dark chocolate on top. You can top it off with a few blocks of your favorite chocolate.
- Bake at 250 degrees for 40-45 minutes.
- Once done, allow the bread to cool completely before you cut it into pieces.
- Store in an airtight container once cut or finish it then and there!
This bread can be stored for up to a week. Once you cut the pieces, immediately transfer to an airtight container and store it in the fridge. But a bread this size will never last a week! 😉
Slurrp pro tip: Whenever you bake bread or cake, always remember to mix the dry ingredients and the wet ingredients separately, and then slowly assimilate the dry into the wet ingredients in a number of rounds. And sieving the flour is extremely crucial, as it is to preheat the oven.
If you want regular access to more such delightful food, you can follow me on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and YouTube.