These Italian style fish cakes with Parmesan cheese and basil as the heroes served alongside a delicious yogurt dip is the perfect appetizer option for a get-together. Soft, fragrant, mushy and perfectly cooked, these fish cakes are every fish lover’s dream. This homemade version is so much better than anything you get out there. Try it for yourself and see the difference!
You can substitute tuna in this recipe if you prefer. I have used basa fillet. Since this is an Italian version, it has to involve some good amount of cheese! Over here, I have used Mozzarella and Parmesan, and these two ingredients just elevate the recipe to a whole new level.
Preparation time – 30 minutes
Cook time – 30 minutes
Serves – 4 people
- Basa fish fillet, 800 gms
- 500 g potatoes
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 50 g Italian basil leaves
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp black pepper powder
- 1 egg
- 100 g Mozzarella cheese, grated
- 80 g Parmesan cheese, grated
- 50 g breadcrumbs
- 50 g butter
- Sunflower oil, for shallow frying
- 2 lemons
- Salt to taste
- Thoroughly wash and pat dry the basa fillet pieces. Heat water in a saucepan, add salt to it and bring it to a boil. Add the basa fillets to it and let it cook in water for ten minutes, till soft.
- Take the fish fillet pieces out of the water carefully and set them aside to cool. Put them on paper towels so that the excess water gets sucked into it.
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into 2cm chunks. Cook them in salted boiling water for ten minutes. Once done, set them aside.
- Mash the potatoes till there are no lumps. Add the boiled fish to it and combine it together.
- Beat in the egg into the mash.
- Season with salt and pepper. Make sure you taste it before you add more salt. Mix well.
- Add the finely chopped garlic and onion into the mash.
- Add chopped Italian basil leaves to the mix.
- Add the Mozarella and Parmesan cheese to the mash and give it a nice mix.
- Once everything is combined well, add the breadcrumbs and give it one last mix with a spatula. Be gentle.
- Make round shaped cakes or tikkis, or any shape you desire.
11. Freeze the fish cakes in the freezer for at least ten minutes. You can also cover them up and freeze them for longer, frying as and when needed.
12. Heat oil and butter in a pan. Shallow fry the cakes in the pan, about five minutes on each side till golden brown and crispy.
13. Serve on a plate with a generous drizzle of lemon juice on top.
14. Pat with a dollop of hung curd dip and some rocket leaves on top.
I hope you try out this easy and delicious Italian fish cakes recipe for yourself. If you do, let me know how it turned out for you.