Who doesn’t like potatoes! There are just so many ways we can use this humble vegetable to create delicious recipes, and here’s one that is going to knock your socks off! Chutney potatoes is a recipe I developed last year and I just have not been able to get enough of it. The idea sparked off from my coriander rice recipe which you all loved so much during the first lockdown. Similar to the coriander rice recipe, this chutney potatoes recipe is also simple to make, with minimal ingredients, but tastes unbelievably delicious.
The only trick to get the perfect chutney potatoes is to ensure you do whatever it takes to get light and crispy fried potatoes. The way to do that is to treat your potatoes right. You have to soak them in water for about 30 minutes to release all the excess starch. And before frying, the potatoes need to be cut into thick strips and patted dry completely! That’s all you have to do. The rest is so easy.
Let’s take a look at how to make these mind-blowing chutney potatoes.
Preparation time – 30 minutes
Cook time – 20 minutes
Serves – 3
- 5 medium sized potatoes, cut into fingers
- 3 tbsp mustard oil (or any oil you have)
- 1 cup chopped coriander leaves and stalks
- 15-18 curry leaves
- 2-4 green chillies (adjust as per the level of heat you want)
- 8 medium garlic pods
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 3 tbsp water
- Cut potatoes into fingers and wash well.
- Soak the potatoes in water for 30 minutes.
- While the potatoes are soaking, make your green chutney. In a blender, add the coriander, green chili, garlic, curry leaves, lime juice, salt and a few tablespoons of water and blend. Set aside for later.
- Release all the excess starch by running the potatoes under water.
- Pat dry the potatoes completely with kitchen towel or a cotton napkin. Set them aside.
- Heat oil in a pan or kadhai. Once hot, add the potatoes and fry on high heat for five minutes, till you start to see the potatoes turn golden and crispy.
- Regulate the heat at this point to prevent burning. Once the potatoes turn slightly golden brown and are 30% cooked, add the chutney. Mix well and cover and cook on low flame till potatoes are done.
- Once potatoes are soft, increase the heat and continue to saute gently for another minute.
- Serve hot with roti, paratha or rice.
Pro Tip: Use a heavy bottomed pan for this dish to prevent the chutney or potatoes from sticking to the base, or worse, burning!
If you love potatoes or only have potatoes to cook with tonight, you must try these chutney potatoes. Spicy, perfectly pan roasted and such amazing flavours, I honestly love those crunchy bits. The best part is the ease at which so much flavour can be delivered. Try it and I promise you will love it! You can enjoy these chutney potatoes with rotis, parathas or even make a sandwich out of it. A winner no matter how you have it🥔🥔
Hope you try out this delicious chutney potatoes recipe in your own kitchen.
Feel free to reach out for feedback, suggestions or connect with me on Instagram or Facebook. Subscribe to my YouTube channel for all my videos and upcoming recipes.