What if I give you a super easy, super quick recipe to not just replicate, but actually make a better Chicken Club Sandwich than takeout? This absolutely perfect Chicken Club Sandwich recipe, layered with crunchy lettuce, crispy and tender chicken, eggs cooked to perfection, veggies and condiments packed with flavours on large buttery slices of soft spongy bread tastes like a dream!
With some basic condiments and ingredients that are easily available in your pantry and the eggs and chicken ready, you can actually whip this chicken club sandwich in less than five minutes. This is perfect to pack for a picnic/lunch, midnight hunger pangs Sunday brunch or just an evening snack. It’s filling, flavourful and packed with goodness and tastes best when served with a side of potato wedges/fries/chips and some freshly squeezed juice or soda.
Ingredients in this Chicken Club Sandwich
This is one of those recipes that you can get up and make right now because all the ingredients that go into making it are always available at home. Let’s take a look at the ingredients:
- Chicken Breast
Crispy on the outside, tender and juicy on the inside, chicken is the protein element in this sandwich. The meat provides a soft yet crisp bite to the sandwich. If you wish to make it even healthier, instead of frying it, you can always boil and shred the chicken and use it for the sandwich.
- Large white bread slices
Using large white bread slices not just ensures an authentic taste, as the actual recipe uses white bread more often than brown/multigrain, but also helps layer and hold the stuffing better and prevent spilling. You can use the bread as it or toast it with butter. I like the toasted version more!
Eggs are known to be one of the most versatile, healthy and delicious ingredients ever and fried eggs are one of the most loved variations of it. Crispy fried eggs add that slight crunch with a soft semi-cooked interior to your sandwich that you enjoy with every bite. Eggs also contribute in making it a healthy option.
- Lettuce and Tomatoes
The torn up lettuce adds that crunch and freshness to your sandwich, while the tomato slices contribute to the tang and sweetness of it. It is best to use freshly grown lettuce from your home garden if you have one (or start one? What’s better than growing your own food?)
- Mayonnaise and Mustard
A delightful mix of mayonnaise and mustard is used as the dressing of this sandwich. The mayo makes the base of the sandwich creamy and the mustard adds a spicy tang to it. You can always use honey mustard in place of regular mustard if you’re inclined towards the sweeter side of things.
Super quick and easy to whip up
Keeps you full for hours
Easily available at home ingredients
Non messy- so perfect for a packed lunch/picnic.
Packed with nutrients- makes the perfect healthy breakfast
Adaptable- adjust quantities and choose condiments as per your preference
Let’s take a look at the recipe.
Assembling time – 5 minutes
Cook time – 20 minutes
- 3 large slices of white bread
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 200 grams boneless chicken breasts- cut into strips
- 2 whole eggs
- 3 tablespoons oil- for frying the chicken
- 2 tablespoons oil- for frying the egg
- ½ teaspoon black pepper powder
- 5-6 tomato slices
- Fresh lettuce
- Salt to taste
- Season the boneless chicken strips with salt and black pepper powder. Rub and marinate for 30 minutes.
- Heat some oil in a pan/cast iron skillet and add the marinated boneless chicken strips to it.
- Flip the chicken strips occasionally and cook till its nice golden brown and crispy on the outside and perfectly cooked on the inside (check by inserting a skewer or knife).
- Set it aside once done.
- Heat another couple tablespoons of oil in the same pan and add the eggs, one at a time.
- Season with salt and pepper and fry the eggs on both sides till they turn golden and crispy. Set aside.
- In the same pan, toast the slices of bread with butter on each side till they are toasted real nice and crisp.
- In a bowl, add mayonnaise and mustard and mix well to prepare the dressing of the club sandwich.
- Apply the mayo mustard dressing on each bread slice and spread evenly.
- Line one slice of bread with lettuce and sliced tomatoes. Cover it completely.
- Top it over with another slice of bread, dressing side down.
- Layer the fried chicken strips on the second slice of bread, covering it completely.
- Then add the fried eggs overlapping one another.
- Cover it with the last slice of bread and insert skewers on diagonal edges to hold the stuffing in place and keep the sandwich together.
- Cut the sandwich in half or quarters and serve with a side of potato wedges/fries/chips and some freshly squeezed juice or soda.
Feel free to experiment with the condiments and dressings to customise this club sandwich per your preference and do try it.