I know how much you guys love easy recipes. I am a big fan too! I love meals that require very little time and effort, yet give delicious and nutritious results. Because compromising on taste just for easy is a big no-no! So here I am to share with you all my go-to egg fried rice recipe that is better than takeaway! Why better? Because it is definitely fresh, and you can control the amount of oil, sugar, and vegetables! I love adding lots of colour in the form of vegetables and this way I ensure my body gets to eat them. And those eggs are a super fluffy and delicious addition to fried rice that is a sea of exciting flavours.
How To Make Delicious Egg Fried Rice Every Single Time
Before we begin, let me share with you some tips on how to make the best egg fried rice every single time. Following these simple rules will help you understand the nuances of good and homemade fried rice and those additional tips and tricks will enhance the taste and flavor even more.
– Keep everything in arm’s reach
You must have seen how quickly the takeaway guy tosses fried rice and noodles for you, right? The reason why the cook moves so fast is that’s how fried rice needs to be made. The steps move really fast when making fried rice, so it’s best to keep all the ingredients right next to you because any kind of delay will hamper the results.
– A really hot wok
A wok works best for fried rice because it’s easier to toss everything together, and also the deep pan makes frying super quick. Make sure you get your wok really really hot before you add the oil and the rest of the ingredients. This will ensure you get the tastiest texture in the vegetables and because you will have to move really fast, you won’t burn anything.
– A day-old rice
The rice you use to make fried rice should be cold and at least a day old. If you add hot rice to the pan, it will stick and become all mushy because of the excess moisture. Using a day old rice helps the rice to disintegrate better and also separates the grains. If your rice has got clumped up in the refrigerator, use your hands or a fork to untangle it before you cook it in the wok.
Why this version of Egg Fried Rice?
- Delicious and super easy!
- Healthy and quick
- Better than takeout
- You need 20 minutes to make this
- Made with basic Chinese pantry essentials.
- Highly customizable!
- Top it off with toasted sesame seeds for extra crunch.
Preparation time – 15 minutes
Cook time – 15 minutes
Serves – 3
- 4 cups cooked white rice
- 4 eggs
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 green chilli, slit in half
- 1/2 cup onions
- 1 tbsp ginger, very finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tbsp garlic, very finely chopped
- 1 cup green beans, finely chopped
- 1 cup carrots, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh green peas
- 1 tbsp Oyster sauce
- 2 tbsp dark soy sauce
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp black pepper powder
- 1 tbsp red chilli sauce/Sriracha
- Spring onion greens, for garnish
- White sesame seeds, for garnish
- In a bowl, mix the Oyster sauce and soy sauce together. Set aside.
- Break four eggs into a bowl. Season with salt and a pinch of pepper. Whisk for a minute.
- Heat a tablespoon of oil in a wok. Add the beaten eggs and scramble them gently. Disintegrate the pieces. Keep them soft, do not overcook. Set aside.
- In a fresh wok, add two tablespoons of vegetable oil and one tablespoon of sesame oil.
- Add a slit green chili while the oil gets hot. This helps infuse the oil with the flavor of the chili.
- Once the oil heats up and starts to smoke, add the onions. Saute on high heat for a few seconds.
- Add the finely chopped ginger and garlic and saute for a few seconds on high heat.
- Next, add the vegetables and continuously stir for 2-3 minutes. The idea is to cook the vegetables till it remains crunchy and its sides start to brown a little.
- Season with salt and pepper. Stir well.
- Add the hot sauce. Mix.
- Time to add the rice and the Oyster and soy sauce mixture. Mix very well ensuring each grain of the rice coated in all the sauce, without any lumps.
- Once the rice is done, add the fried eggs and give it one last mix.
- Garnish with spring onion greens and white sesame seeds.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
If you have any questions, feel free to reach out to me with a comment or connect with me on Instagram or Facebook. For all my videos, you can subscribe to me on YouTube.
Related recipe – 30 Minute Stir Fry Noodles