This Cilantro Lime Chicken is the kind of recipe for which this channel stands and particularly defines the ethos of why I started this channel. With the most minimal ingredients that bring out the explosive flavours of chicken and are probably already lying in your pantry, this recipe couldn’t be any easier to pull off. The zesty, moist and juicy chicken with a mouthwatering coriander/cilantro marinade is a sure-fire way to tantalise your palate and appetite with a burst of flavours in every bite!
The marinade is where the magic happens. This Cilantro Lime Chicken is my version of a dish which marinades in no time, thanks to the rich flavour of lime, cilantro and some basic spices. With a side of rice or a quick salad, this chicken recipe makes for a perfect weekend dinner or a Sunday brunch. Who needs to go out or order takeout when you can whip up this tender and juicy on the inside, crispy on the outside, incredible chicken all by yourself in no time. Oh, and the sauce is so good, you’ll be licking your plates.
Ingredients in This Cilantro Lime Chicken
I am sure you’ll find all the ingredients required for this recipe somewhere in your kitchen. This recipe calls for minimal ingredients and is yet packed with flavours. Let’s take a look at the key ingredients that make the magic happen:
While I am using skinless and boneless chicken breasts in this recipe, you can use any cut you prefer. Boneless chicken tends to cook faster and is the best choice if you are in a hurry and have no time for meal prep. If you’re using chicken breasts like me, I’d recommend pounding your chicken breasts out to an even thickness till they’re not more than 3/4th of an inch before cooking. This will ensure than the chicken cooks evenly without drying out. You can always use chicken thighs if you prefer your chicken juicier or opt for skin on chicken for a crispier result.
- Cilantro or Coriander
Going by the name, coriander or cilantro is one of the two heroes of this recipe which contributes a major burst of flavour to this recipe.Coriander is one of the very widely used herbs in not just Indian kitchens, but all around the globe. It’s healthy, refreshing, extremely flavourful and easy to add to your diet.We will only use the tender leaves in this recipe. Don’t throw those stems away as they have the maximum flavour and use it for your chutneys. I omit the stems in this recipe as they tend to not dissolve as quickly as the leaves.
Lime is another key ingredient of this recipe. It is no secret how lime has innumerable health benefits and a very powerful sour flavour. The tanginess of the lime balances the strong flavours of ginger, garlic and cilantro and complements the heat of the chilli powder and jalapeños/fresh green chillies. Use fresh lime for the best results.
- Jalapeño Pepper
Jalapeños have a slight smoky, earthy flavour with good heat and also contain so many health benefits and assists in pain relief, weight loss and heart problems too. While the authentic recipe calls for jalapeño pepper, you can always replace it with the much easily available Indian substitute- green chilies; it turns out great either way.
- Ginger and Garlic
As this recipe doesn’t require many ingredients, the handfuls of the ones used have extremely powerful flavours. Having one of the strongest, pungent flavours, garlic and ginger are one of the basic ingredients for any such recipe with minimal ingredients. They boost up the flavours of this Cilantro Lime Chicken and complement all the other flavours beautifully.
Why this Cilantro Lime Chicken?
- Ridiculously easy to pull off and require minimal efforts.
- Takes no time to marinade or cook
- Minimal and easily available ingredients
- Packed with flavour
- Makes a perfect date-night meal, picnic, brunch or comfort meal
- A light and healthy recipe
- Adaptable and customisable according to your preferences.
Here’s a look at the recipe.
Preparation time – 30 minutes
Marination time – 30 minutes
Cook time – 30 minutes
Serves – 3
- 500 g of boneless chicken – cut into chunky pieces
- 1 cup finely chopped onions
- 1 cup finely chopped corianders or cilantro leaves
- 2 tbsp. lime juice
- 1 tbsp. salt (adjust as per taste if needed)
- 1 tsp. black pepper powder
- 1 tsp. red chilli powder
- 1 chopped green chilli/jalapeños (add more if you want to increase the heat)
- 1 inch ginger, ground to a paste
- 2-3 big garlic cloves, ground to a paste
- 3 tbsp oil
- In a big bowl, add your chicken.
- To make the marinade, add the finely chopped cilantro and squeeze in the fresh lime juice.
- Season with salt, red chilli powder and black pepper powder.
- Add a splash of oil and give it a good mix.
- Let it sit while you prepare the tempering.
- In an iron cast skillet, heat some oil. You can also use a slightly deep pan.
- Throw in the finely chopped onions along with the finely sliced jalapeños or green chilies.
- Sauté the onions till they turn golden brown.
- Add in the crushed ginger and garlic and sauté for a few seconds.
- Add the marinated chicken pieces and do not forget to add the juices in the marinade as well.
- Cover and cook and low flame for 8 minutes.
- Give it a gentle stir, keeping the flame at low.
- Cover and cook again till the chicken is tender. That’s it!
- Serve it hot on a bed of steamed rice or with a side of salad and garnish with fresh coriander leaves.
That’s how super easy it was to make yourself a delightful, steaming hot plate of deliciousness. You can always mix in all of the ingredients and throw the skillet in the oven to bake to make this recipe even healthier. Make this Cilantro Lime Chicken for your next meal and do not forget to share it with me. I hope you will love it just as much I do!