A poha with a twist – this brown bread poha is a unique rendition of India’s favourite breakfast recipe. Poha is usually made with flattened rice. This recipe replaces the flattened rice with brown bread slices. I usually make this brown bread poha when I have bread left in my refrigerator that I need to use up. It is delicious, easy and can be made with your choice of vegetables. This recipe is kid friendly and makes for a great lunch box option.
Let’s take a look at the recipe.
Preparation time – 10 minutes
Cook time – 20 minutes
Serves – 3
- 5 brown bread slices, teared into small bites
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 dried red chilli
- 5-8 fresh curry leaves
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup potato, cut into small cubes
- 1/4 cup fresh peas
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 cup finely chopped tomato
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- Heat oil in a skillet or kadhai.
- Temper the oil with mustard seeds and dried red chilli. Let the seeds splutter.
- Add the curry leaves and stir for a few seconds.
- Add the onions and fry for 2-3 minutes till they start to brown and turn translucent.
- Next, add the chopped potatoes and peas and fry for another minute on medium to high flame.
- Season with sugar, salt and turmeric. Mix well.
- Chop some tomatoes and add to the kadhai. Stir for another ten seconds.
- Cover with a lid and cook on low flame for 5-7 minutes or till potatoes and peas are tender.
- Add the teared brown bread slices and mix till everything comes together and the bread soaks up all the spices.
- Serve hot with tomato ketchup.
I hope you try this delicious brown bread poha for breakfast soon! If you have any doubts, comments, or feedback, please reach out to me in comments or my social media handles.
Instagram – www.instagram.com/slurrpilicious
Facebook – www.facebook.com/slurrpilicious