Here is my favourite way to make chicken stew. This recipe is extremely easy to make with a very few ingredients. The flavours are subtle and comforting. A warm bowl of this chicken stew with some dosas or appam is a match made in heaven. I love adding vegetables in my stew as it adds colour, flavour and a generous dollop of good health. I make this chicken stew very often and it always comforts me.
The base of this chicken stew is coconut milk. Coconut milk adds a beautiful texture to the dish and delivers a beautiful flavour and fragrance. Like I mentioned, this recipe is extremely simple, and requires just a few spices – freshly ground black pepper and some garam masala. I do not like to overburden this stew dish with too many spices and its simplicity is what sets the flavour apart.
Tips To Make The Best Chicken Stew
While the ingredients and methods to make this chicken stew are extremely simple, there are still a few things to take care of to get the perfect recipe. Here are some of the tips that will help you get the best chicken stew out of your kitchen every single time.
1. Prep the chicken pieces
For this chicken stew, I recommend curry cut chicken pieces. They should be washed and pat dried with a clean kitchen towel before marination. This step ensures there is no excess water in the chicken pieces as too much water can ruin the curry. For marination, we use salt, freshly crushed black pepper powder and lime juice. The chicken should be marinated for atleast 30 minutes to get the maximum flavour.
2. Cook the chicken halfway before adding the vegetables
This chicken stew recipe uses potatoes and carrots in it. It is important to know when to add the vegetables as they take far lesser time to cook than the chicken. Only once the chicken is cooked halfway should the vegetables be added. Otherwise they will dissolve into the curry which we don’t want.
3. Use good quality coconut milk
Coconut milk forms the base of this chicken stew and hence is a primary ingredient. Make sure you use good quality coconut milk so that the flavours do not get compromised. When ingredients are this minimal in a recipe, it is even more important to ensure that the best quality is sourced.
Let’s take a look at the ingredients and procedure to make this delicious chicken stew recipe:
Preparation time – 30 minutes
Cook time – 30 minutes
Serves – 5-6 people
- 1 kg chicken, curry cut pieces
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper powder
- 1 tbsp lime juice
For the stew:
- 3 tbsp oil
- 2 cups finely chopped onions
- 1 1/2 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 2 cups tomatoes, roughly sliced
- Salt to taste (if needed)
- 1/2 tsp black pepper powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 2 cups potatoes, cut into cubes
- A sprig of fresh curry leaves
- 2 cups carrots, cut into cubes
- Wash and pat dry the chicken pieces thoroughly. Marinate with salt, black pepper powder and lime juice for 30 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pot or kadhai. Add the onions and fry for 3-4 minutes or till the onions start to sweat.
- Add the ginger-garlic paste and fry till the raw aroma of the ginger and garlic fades completely.
- Roughly slice the tomatoes and add to the mix. Stir till the tomatoes start to melt and release its juices.
- Time to add the marinated chicken to the mix. Fry for 10 minutes in medium to high flame.
- Cover with a lid and let the chicken cook on low heat for ten minutes.
- Take the lid off and give the chicken a good stir. Add the vegetables at this point. Mix the vegetables with the chicken and cover and cook for another ten minutes (or till the vegetables are 80% cooked).
- Pour coconut milk into the mix and stir gently.
- Garnish with some fresh curry leaves. Let it simmer for another five minutes.
- Season with salt to taste, some black pepper powder and garam masala. Mix well.
- Serve hot with dosas or appam. Enjoy!
Every bite of this stew will instantly comfort you! I hope you try out this chicken stew recipe soon.If you do, let me know how it turned out for you.