This mushroom masala is a light and delicious curry that you can make in 30 minutes. A perfect accompaniment to hot rotis to fetch you a delicious and healthy vegan meal for lunch or dinner. Also makes for a delicious lunch box option for office or kids. It also happens to be vegan.
If you love mushrooms, you must try this vegan mushroom masala. The ingredients are simple and easily accessible in any Indian kitchen, and the results are delicious. The base is a mix of tomatoes and onions that do not require any grinding. the gravy is also free of any cashews or other kind of nuts. I have cooked this vegan mushroom masala in cold pressed mustard oil as its healthier and packed with a lot of nutrients. You can also make it in ghee or any other oil of your choice.
Let’s take a look at the recipe:
Preparation time – 15 minutes
Cook time – 30 minutes
Serves – 2-3 people
- 200 g button mushrooms, each cut in half
- 3 tbsp mustard oil (can be substituted with any oil of choice)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onions
- 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes
- 2 cardamoms
- 1 half inch cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 slit green chilli (add more if you like it hot)
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/4 tsp black pepper powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 cup hot water
- Fresh coriander leaves, finely chopped, for garnish
- Wash and clean the button mushrooms. Pat dry them with a paper towel so that there is no excess water in them. Cut each mushroom into half.
- Heat mustard oil in a skillet or kadhai. Once the oil is hot and starts to smoke, lower the heat to minimum. Temper the oil with cardamom, cinnamon, cumin seeds and slit green chilli. Stir for 2-3 seconds.
- Add the onions and stir till they turn translucent and start to brown. Keep the heat at medium.
- Once the onions brown, add the fresh ginger and garlic paste. Stir till the raw aroma of the ginger and garlic completely fades.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and cook on medium flame till the tomatoes start to melt.
- Season with salt, turmeric powder, coriander powder, cumin powder and black pepper powder. Stir well on low heat.
- Pour some water to ensure the spices don’t stick to the skillet.
- Cover and let the onions and tomatoes cook on low flame for 5 minutes or till the oil starts to release from the sides.
- Stir again and add the chopped mushrooms.
- Coat the mushrooms well with the spice mix.
- Fry on high heat for two to three minutes till the mushrooms are well coated with all the masala.
- Pour hot water, stir and cover and cook for 5 minutes on low flame or till mushrooms are cooked.
- Open the lid and stir once again. Season with some garam masala and turn flame off.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and give it one last mix.
- Serve hot with ghee-laden rotis and salad. Enjoy!
This vegan mushroom masala is perfect for a busy day. It tastes authentic and the flavours are just on point.
I hope you try out this easy and delicious recipe for yourself.If you do, let me know how it turned out for you.