Here’s a delicious, comforting and light vegetable stew recipe. With summers upon us, this vegetable stew makes for a healthy meal that has the goodness of vegetables. You can pair this vegetable stew with dosa, appam or rice, and get a wholesome meal for yourself.
The recipe of this vegetable stew is extremely simple and minimalistic. The star of the dish is coconut milk. You can add vegetables of your choice. But it’s advisable to use hardy vegetables that take time to cook and can soak up the flavours of the broth.
Ingredients in This Vegetable Stew
Like I mentioned, the ingredients in this vegetable stew are very minimal. The main ingredient is coconut milk that lends this stew a unique flavour. I have used thick coconut milk. Please see the ratio of coconut milk to the quantity of vegetables for best results.
The second important ingredient here are the onions. The way you cook your onions can change the flavour and texture of a vegetable stew. For best results, cook your onions till they turn brown and soft. This adds a unique depth of flavour and colour to the stew. Onions are sliced thinly and cooked in coconut oil for 10-15 minutes till they reach this stage. It requires some patience. But the results are absolutely worth it.
This vegetable stew has some hardy vegetables like cauliflower, beans, carrot and potatoes. You can also add peas. If you do add peas, make sure you add them 10 minutes after you add the hardy vegetables.
In terms of spices, this vegetable stew is as simple as they come. The only spice is freshly ground black pepper powder. That’s it!
Fresh curry leaves, fresh ginger-garlic paste, green chillies work their magic in lending their own flavours and assimilating beautifully with the curry.
Let’s take a look at the recipe.
Preparation time – 20 minutes
Cook time – 30 minutes
Serves – 4
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 cloves
- 2 cardamoms
- 2 cups onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 2-4 green chillies, slit in half
- 1 cup cauliflower, cut into small florets
- 1 cup potatoes, cut into cubes
- 1 cup carrots, cut into small cubes
- 1 cup green beans, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Salt to taste
- 400 ml thick coconut milk
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper powder
- 8-10 fresh curry leaves
- Heat coconut oil in a pan. Temper with cloves and cardamom.
- Add the sliced onions. Cook till they turn translucent, and slowly start to caramelize. The whole process will take 10-15 minutes.
- Stir for two minutes and add the slit green chillies and half of the curry leaves.
- Once the onions are brown and soft, add fresh ginger garlic paste. Keep the flame at low and stir till the rawness fades.
- Add the vegetables and stir for 5 minutes. Season with salt.
- Add some water. Cover and cook till the vegetables are 80% cooked.
- Pour coconut milk and give everything a good mix. Cover and cook till vegetables are soft.
- Garnish with more curry leaves and freshly ground black pepper powder.
- Serve hot with appam, dosa or rice.
Hope you try out this delicious vegetable stew in your own kitchen.
Feel free to reach out for feedback, suggestions or connect with me on Instagram or Facebook. Subscribe to my YouTube channel for all my videos and upcoming recipes.