A delicious, light and healthy meal to go, this version of a spicy chicken and mushroom lettuce wraps makes for a refreshing option. Perfect for spring and summer, these lettuce wraps can also be a great appetiser option for your next micro meet with friends at home. But let me wan you in advance, these are going to disappear faster than you might think!
Summers are also a time when we need to take care of what we feed our stomach, as the chances of indigestion are higher. It is advisable to have foods that are rich in water content. These kinds of foods are not only nutritious but are easy on the stomach.
I have been making these chicken mushroom lettuce wraps for long now and I truly feel that they are an excellent meal for summers. I like it best when cold. The crunch of the vegetables, the juiciness of the little dollop of cream and the flavour of a few fantastic spices make this dish a true winner. And it is so pretty to look at too! <3
So here is my recipe for chicken and mushroom lettuce wraps. It can be a perfect addition to your meal prep list and is a great dinner recipe in itself. The best part is that is is actually a salad, which means you can store it for longer and eat it in repeat mode 😉
For those of you who are vegetarians, feel free to replace the chicken with paneer (cottage cheese) or tofu. Also, feel free to use cucumber, your favourite fresh herbs as it is really up to you what you would like best in your filling. I have pan fried the chicken here, but you can also bake it with a generous drizzle of olive oil. Simple, fuss-free and absolutely delicious!
Here’s a look at the recipe.
Preparation time – 10 minutes
Cook time – 30 minutes
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 200 g boneless chicken breast
- 5 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 green chilli, chopped
- 4 button mushrooms, finely chopped
- 50 g Italian basil leaves, chopped
- 1/4 tsp black pepper powder
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp red chilli sauce
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1 capsicum, chopped
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tsp fresh cream per wrap
- Green lettuce or iceberg lettuce
- Heat olive oil in a pan. Add the slices of the boneless chicken breast and fry for about a minute. Make sure the pieces of the chicken are small, as we would not want huge chunks in the filling.
- Add the garlic, the chopped onions, and chopped green chilies. Saute this for about a minute.
- Add the chopped button mushroom and mix well.
- Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper powder. To this, add finely chopped Italian basil leaves. Mix everything together for another minute.
- For those who like it spicy, add two tablespoons of red chilli sauce. You can also add homemade chilli sauce to this. If you cannot bear too much spice, you can skip this step completely or replace the red chilli sauce with some sweet sauce.
- Once the chicken is cooked, transfer it to a glass bowl and let it cool down.
- In the same bowl, mix all the finely chopped vegetables like tomato and capsicum. Like I already mentioned, you can add more crunchy vegetables such as cucumber or even spinach. Mix the cooked chicken mix with these vegetables.
- Throw in a generous dash of freshly squeezed lime juice and mix well. There you go, your filling is ready!
- Take iceberg lettuce or green lettuce, add a dollop of fresh cream or hung curd to one leaf or a part of a leaf. Now fill it up with the chicken and vegetable mix. Crunch and munch away!
You can be as creative as you want with the filling. I hope you try this delicious and healthy snack for yourself and your loved ones.