This Shakshuka in Spicy Pepper Sauce is the perfect comfort meal all by itself. This delicious recipe makes for a great brunch or breakfast option when you are craving for something gourmet right in your own kitchen. You can pair it with some toasted bread on the side, and voila! You have a healthy and filling meal to go in 30 minutes.
Shakshuka can be traced back to North Africa; however, it has been popularised by the Middle East and its variations are found in Palestine, Egypt, Israel and many other places. It is only obvious that we have an Indian variation as well, which in turn has variations differing from person to person. I’ll be sharing with you my variation of the Shakshuka in a spicy pepper sauce, my comfort in a bowl.
Eggs, as a matter of fact, are one of the most versatile ingredients in the cooking world and can be used to create dreamy recipes for every meal of the day, be it breakfast or dinner; and any course of a meal, from entrée to dessert, eggs can be the key ingredient in a number of dishes. Eggs are also considered an almost perfect food as they contain a little bit of every nutrient you need. I love myself a wholesome dish prepared with eggs, because they’re easily available, cook super quickly and are delicious in all forms, be it a sunny side up, a perfectly poached egg, a raspberry meringue or Shakshuka. These jiggly eggs on a bed of tangy, sweet and spicy pepper sauce with a generous sprinkle of cheese are like magic served on a plate.
Where the basic Shakshuka is just soft eggs bed on a luscious tomato sauce with peppers, my variation slightly highlights the peppers, making it the star of the dish instead of just tomatoes. Peppers- that form the base sauce of this recipe have a lot going for them. They are low in calories and loaded up with good nutrition. From the bitter green pepper to the sweet yellow and sweetest red bell pepper, this also acts as a very versatile vegetable and can be paired with any dish to elevate it. Red and Yellow bell peppers used in this recipe give the sauce a sweet and spicy tang that is so good!
Eggs, Peppers, Tomatoes, Cheese. What’s not to like?
That’s not it. Along with being a simple yet gourmet, minimal yet flavourful dish, made with the most easily available versatile ingredients in the culinary world, Shakshuka is also a very healthy meal choice. It can be had as a healthier alternative for breakfast, lunch, dinner or a fancy brunch!
And guess what the best part is? It is very very easy to make! Even someone who has never cooked before cannot go wrong with Shakshuka. It’s a simple and minimal and foolproof recipe and can be whipped up in less than 15 minutes in a single pan! We could go on and on about why Shakshuka is one of the most perfect comfort meals, so let’s jump right into the recipe. Oh! And it’s gorgeous. Look at it!
- Very easily available basic ingredients.
- Packed with nutrition as the key ingredient is eggs
- Super easy even for a beginner.
- Takes less than 15-20 minutes to whip up.
- Absolutely delicious and dreamy!
- One-pan recipe.
- A very good option for outdoor cooking (camping, picnic etc.)
Let’s take a look at the recipe.
Preparation time – 15 minutes
Cook time – 30 minutes
Serves – 3 people
- 250 g noodles
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 cup finely chopped onions
- 6 eggs
- 2 tbsp finely chopped garlic
- 2 red bell peppers, finely chopped
- 2 yellow bell peppers, finely chopped
- 2 cups fresh tomato puree (fresh tomatoes ground to a paste)
- 1/4 tsp black pepper powder
- 1/2 tsp Kashmiri red chilli powder
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
- Salt to taste
- Fresh coriander for garnish
- Grated processed cheese, for garnish
- Heat oil and butter in a pan till butter melts.
- Add finely chopped onions to the pan and cook till it turns translucent and begins to slightly golden on the edges.
- At this point add the finely chopped garlic.
- Cook till the raw smell of garlic is gone and the onions start to brown.
- Throw in the red and yellow bell peppers and cook for a few minutes.
- Add in the tomato puree and mix well.
- Cover and cook on low heat for about 10 minutes.
- Take the lid off and give it a good stir.
- Season with salt, Kashmiri red chilli powder, black pepper powder, mix well and cook for a few seconds.
- Add the sweet chilli sauce and give it a good mix.
- After the sauce is ready, make small pockets to place the eggs.
- Drop the eggs carefully in the pockets and season them with salt and black pepper.
- Cover and cook on low flame till the yolks are runny.
- Take it off the heat and garnish with grated cheese and fresh coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with your choice of bread!
Shakshuka can be eaten for any meal of the day. It can be served for breakfast or brunch with a warm crusty bread, pita or naan. For lunch or dinner, it can be served with humus or green salad and make a nice, light and easy meal. Come up with your own ideas to pair it up with, because you can never go wrong with it.
This was my take on a Shakshuka in spicy pepper sauce. Do give it a try because you will love it! And be creative, experiment with it and come up with your own variations and do not forget to share it with me!