The best part of Indian summers to me is the abundance of mangoes that I get to see everywhere. India is home to more than a thousand varieties of mangoes, and it is undoubtedly the king of all fruits. Mango season has started again this year and I thought of sharing a unique mango based recipe with you guys – a delicious and healthy Mango Oatmeal Bread.
If you love desserts and you want to make it in a healthier way, this bread recipe is meant for you. This mango oatmeal bread tastes so good that it is almost unbelievable that it is filled with fiber and health. I have used zero all purpose flour and the entire base is made with oats. Yes, you read it right! I love the nutty flavor of this bread, and the subtle hint of mango makes it a must try!
This recipe uses fresh mango pulp. Every bite comes with the frangrance of mango – it is not overpowering at all, but absolutely delicious. The oat flour gives the cake a dense texture, but it’s also soft and moist as you cut into it. For flavouring I have used fresh cinnamon powder and vanilla essence. They shine in this simple recipe. The dry fruits add a lot more flavour and crunch to the bread. All in all, it’s a beautiful bread and I highly recommend you try it this mango season.
Since this is made with fresh mango pulp, it needs to be consumed immediately. Do not keep it for more than two days as it might perish sooner and refrigerate it immediately once it cools down. It is a perfect tea time partner. I make this variant for my parents who avoid sugar, and they have also given this a green signal!
Preparation time – 30 minutes
Cook time – 60 minutes
Serves – 6
- 4 cups oat flour
- 2 eggs (at room temperature)
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 2/3 cup melted butter (cooled down)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup warm milk (full fat preferred)
- 1/4 cup dry fruits (cashews, raisins, almonds)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp cinnamon powder
- 1 cup fresh mango pulp
Oat flour is nothing but oats ground to a fine powder in a grinder. For an extra nutty flavor, you can also slightly toast the oats on a pan before grinding.
- Mix the wet ingredients first – In a glass bowl, whisk in two eggs, vanilla essence and melted butter. Add in warm milk to this, little by little. Whisk continuously in the process.
- Next, mix the dry ingredients together – In another glass bowl, mix oat flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon powder and dry fruits together.
- Add the dry ingredients slowly and in parts to the wet egg base (watch the video below). Make sure everything gets mixed in complete harmony, with no lumps or unevenness in the consistency. The end batter should be a thick one as shown in the video.
- Once the batter is ready, add the fresh mango pulp into it and mix till it distributes evenly into the batter.
- Grease the baking tray with oil/butter. Pour in the batter. Sprinkle some oats on top.
- Pre-heat your oven at 180 degrees. Bake this bread for 50-60 minutes. Once done, allow it to cool completely before serving. Enjoy!
This is a delicious way to eat those fresh and ripe mangoes, and a perfectly healthy bread, which is also gluten-free! If you want to avoid the sugar completely, go ahead and add some honey or jaggery for the sweetness. You can also add some dates and other kinds of dry fruits such as walnuts if you like!
More such baking delights:
I hope you try out this delicious and unique mango oatleam bread for yourself. It’s aboslutely divine. If you have any questions, feel free to reach out to me with a comment or connect with me on Instagram or Facebook. For all my videos, you can subscribe to me on YouTube.